Who can use the service

You must have applied to be on the housing register for one of our partner boroughs (Newham, Redbridge, Waltham Forest, Havering, Barking and Dagenham and Hackney) or be on the housing register for one of our partner housing associations  to use the choice based lettings service. If you are a current tenant of any of these organisations you can use our mutual exchange service. Anyone can apply for the properties available from the private possibilities.

The choice based lettings service focuses on advertising affordable rented housing available on a secure tenancy from a local authority landlord or on an assured tenancy from a housing association landlord. If your household is listed on your council's housing register and your registration is not deferred, you can apply for advertised properties that match your registration category and your property requirements. You will have received a letter from your council advising you of your registration category.

More information on banding and the symbols used can be found on the Key to symbols page.

Who cannot use the service

You cannot use the service if

  • you are not on any of the Local Authority housing registers (Newham, Redbridge, Waltham Forest, Havering, Hackney and Barking and Dagenham).
  • your application to join the housing register has been deferred or suspended (for example if you are behind on your rent)
  • you have been involved in committing anti-social behaviour
  • your application is in the No Preference band (Waltham Forest applicants)
  • Reciprocals. In Hackney those agreed for a move under a ‘reciprocal’ arrangement will be allocated a property directly, and will not be eligible to use Hackney Choice